Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The #1 Reason Weight Loss Efforts Fail

The greatest barrier to successful weight loss isn't the nutrient you eat and it's not the exercising you do.

It's veto thinking.

Witness this scenario from one of my clients' weight loss diaries (used with permission):

I should lose weight.

I ought to lose weight.

I necessitate to travel on a diet.

I will begin Monday. Mondays are easier. Actually, why should I wait until Monday? I'll begin today! It will be awful. It will be awful but, once I begin losing a few pounds, I'll acquire excited and then I'll be motivated to continue. Isn't that how it works?

7:30 a.m. Black coffee, one hard-boiled egg.

10 a.m. Starving. Oh! Person brought it donuts!

But I shouldn't have got one. Even though I'm starving. I actually experience a small faint. Hey, why makes Julie acquire to eat doughnuts and I don't? How makes she remain thin if she eats donuts? I can't have got a donut. I am so fat. Look at her! She's having so much fun. I inquire why I eat a doughnut and expression like a bathtub of lard and Julie eats whatever she desires and never additions a pound. Life just isn't fair!

11 a.m. It's not luncheon clip but Iodine am so hungry I could eat a horse. I'm going to the delicatessen and acquire luncheon early. Checked the salads but they look sort of wilted and not too fresh. Looked at the soup list. Nothing I like. There really wasn't anything else to eat so I ordered a cheeseburger and fries, then grabbed a elf at the checkout.

11:40 a.m. Oh male child make I experience guilty. I am so weak. I have got no self-control whatsoever. I was doing so well all morning! I didn't even have got a donut! I have got really blown it now.

I inquire how many calories were in that cheeseburger I just inhaled? It couldn't have got been much, it was small. In fact I'm calm hungry. I'll never lose weight. Iodine don't cognize what's wrong with me. I just can't make anything right.

I don't cognize how I even last at this job. I'm completely inept. It's a good thing my foreman is oblivious. He doesn't see what an idiot I am. I didn't put out in life to be an atrocious person. I'm not even certain it's my fault. Who can I blame? Oh, that's silly. It's my fault. I'm weak, I'm stupid, I'm inept, I can't make anything right. I'm a blathering idiot...

(end journal entry)

It's easy to see how this sort of downward spiral can take a individual from eating a cheeseburger to being "an atrocious person" in record time. When we "awfulize" situations, people or ourselves, it have a profound consequence on our mental attitude towards life!

Here are some constituents of negative thinking:

1. Problems are seen as permanent,

2. We place ourselves as the job or the cause of the problem, then

3. We get to experience like the job is a symbol of personal defectiveness.

I like to direct contrast the diary entry above with a narrative of my own. Once, on a trip, I stopped at a cut-rate gas station and filled up my gas tank. A piece later, my auto started spluttering and acting as if the engine was going to die. It wasn't accelerating smoothly and I felt as though I was put-puttering along while autos all around me sped by. I immediately connected the deficiency of public presentation with the new gas. It would run mulct for a while, then begin the vacillation modus operandi again. I continued thrust the auto until it was about a one-fourth of a army tank below full and refilled at another gas station. The jobs lessened and again, I drove it until it was a one-fourth of a army tank less than full and refilled again. The jobs ceased.

The point here is that I certainly didn't acquire emotional about the bad gas (probably amalgamated with water) that I bought. I certainly didn't fault myself for it. I made a mental short letter to be more than careful in choosing a gas station and I did what I could to work out the problem. Then, I moved on.

What would life be like if we were this rational and unagitated about determinations with food? If we didn't "awfulize" ourselves for a mediocre decision, but simply made rectifications and moved forward?

After all, the auto analogy is very meaningful when it come ups to eating. Food is our fuel.

When we overeat at lunch, we're going to jump and sputter through the afternoon or yearn for a nap. When we disregard existent hunger, we're going to eat too much the adjacent clip we come up within 10 feet of food. And, when we are tired, overwhelmed or stressed, those high-carb bites or that candy barroom is going to give us a speedy lift, then drop us into an energy-depleted topographic point where additional cravings are guaranteed.

The scientific discipline of eating tin be complicated. Over-emotionalizing primes and determinations can be stressful, if not downright traumatic.

Recognize and get rid of destructive and negative thought when it come ups to the all-important process of refueling the body. That is one of the most of import stairway in developing a healthy life and lifestyle.

No comments: